Teaching: What we do
Practicing EBHC allows the integration of the best available research evidence in healthcare decision making. Research literature is constantly changing and therefore, to provide optimal care, healthcare professionals need to keep abreast of new developments to be able to offer care that works and eliminate the use of that shown to be harmful or ineffective. The CEBHC leads and supports various teaching activities to strengthen EBHC awareness, knowledge, skills and practices.
We have established an EBHC task team at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, consisting of module chairs, programme coordinators and convenors of the undergraduate health sciences degrees. This enables a collaborative effort to integrate EBHC in the undergraduate curricula. The task team provides direction and consultation on curriculum assessment and development.
A set of core and enabling EBHC competencies have been developed and we provided input into Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, graduate attributes project (Figure).
A wide spectrum of training is undertaken by the CEBHC including:
- Integrating EBHC knowledge and skills as a core competency in the under- and postgraduate education of doctors, nurses and other health care professionals trained at SU.
- Training of, and technical support to, postgraduate students at the master’s and doctorate level in conducting high quality systematic reviews – either as a research project for a masters degree or as a component of a doctoral thesis.
- Training the trainers how to teach EBHC and conduct research in the field of EBHC.
- Providing support to the MSc Clinical Epidemiology www.sun.ac.za/clinepi and other relevant degree and diploma programmes which incorporate EBHC as a focus.
- SURMEPI surmepi.sun.ac.za
- Evidence based health care: Teaching within an EBHC framework: Workshop at the FMHS to clarify the understanding of EBHC amongst Stellenbosch University faculty members involved in teaching undergraduate students and to discuss teaching EBHC.